I’ve been a professional editor since 1999. In 2007, I won the now sadly defunct Editors and Preditors’ contest for best editor.
Several small, independent publishers regularly send me work, and I assist a steady trickle of writers pre-submission.
My rates, conditions, and testimonials from many clients are at http://bobswriting.com/editing.html.
In the past, I have run two “free edit contests,” and am now offering this opportunity to other writers for the third time.
I don’t actually need more editing work, so why am I doing this?
What I need is publicity for my books. I’ve been trying the avenues everyone else tries, with the same results. However, my previous two free edit contests brought thousands of visitors to my website.
So, in a way there is a “payment” for entering in my contest: look around and see what you can see. Check out my books, and they may intrigue you enough to buy one. Everyone who buys one of my books gets a second title, free.
How the contest is run
1. Send me a 200-word synopsis of your book, plus the first 1000 words, as a single Word-compatible file (docx, doc, or rtf), attached to an email.
The subject of the email should be “Free edit entry.” It will be if you use the link above.
Within the body of the email, I need:
- your name
- title of the book
- word count
- fiction of nonfiction
- genre (cross-genre is fine)
- and what country you live in. This is needed so I can edit your work according to the conventions of your version of English (e.g., US, UK, Canadian, etc.).
2. I will give a free edit of these 1000 words, with helpful feedback.
3. I will select the 10 best entries, and list the synopsis and 1000 word sample of each here at Bobbing Around.
4. You need two things to be a successful author: a high-quality book, and the ability to spread the word about it. So, the second stage assesses your publicity skills. The winner will be the shortlisted entrant with the highest number of votes.
Deadline for entries is 15th October, 2018.
I am allowing myself 2 weeks for editing the last rush of entries. So, the shortlist will be announced on 1st November, 2018.
Voting will close on 23rd December, 2018, so the winner can receive a nice Christmas present from me.