An award-winning science fiction story
Flora Fielding had herself placed in cryogenic storage, and invested her billions in cancer research. She expected to be awakened in about 10 years when a cure for her was developed — but instead came back to life in the distant future. An environmental cataclysm had destroyed her world soon after her departure from it, and she now needs to learn to live in an entirely different society.
- The population of the planet is kept at 1 million people. This gives each person unlimited material wealth, but the right to reproduce is the new scarcity.
- A woman has complete control over who fathers her child, so men do everything possible to impress women. This includes deeds of daring in which they risk their lives to build credentials.
- Everyone has an implant, which makes all humanity into a supercomputer, the basis of Artif, everyone’s mother, healer, teacher and conscience. So, there is no crime, no violence, or even dishonesty.
- The planet is run by Control, a small group of the wisest people.
- Then there is Tony, the genius who designed this new world.
Flora soon discovers that she was awoken as a pawn in a political duel between Abel, President of Control, and Mirabelle, the Vice-President.
Explore this future, which has lots to say about our present.